Bowie

Posted by Kurt Wilde | Posted in | Posted on 10:36 AM

Today (8 January 2010) David Bowie turned 64.  Those of you who know me well already know the profound impact Bowie has had on my life and on my creative energy, so I don't want to get into that too much here.  One interesting story about it though, the last women who was terribly important to me, in a romantic context, walked into my room and remarked that I had more pictures of David Bowie than of her, which was true.  Half amused, half exasperated, she accused me of being more in love with Bowie than with her.  This also may have been true.  I'm not sure. What I do know is that for the past eight years there hasn't been a day where the phrase, "David Bowie" hasn't floated across my mind.

For his birthday I had intended to do a write up about how great Bowie is and to work in some strong personal insights, but lets face it, that's been done by plenty of star crossed fans before me and frankly it's a little unbecoming to fawn over any one in such a manner.  Instead, I'd like to offer you the opportunity to listen to my top 3 favorite Bowie songs.  I'll also include some honorable mentions that you can look up yourself should you have the interest.

3:  Heroes (1977)



This is the best known single of the Berlin Trilogy.  For me, this is the ultimate love song and the vocal range Bowie projects really delivers the emotion and encapsulates the listener in the illusion of invincibility and isolation that only love can create.

2.  Ashes to Ashes (1980)



This is another highly emotional selection.  In this song Bowie revisits the character of Major Tom, who helped him break out in the late 1960s.   Ten years later, the isolation Major Tom faces is not the cold, emptiness of space, but the equally gripping cold and isolation of addiction.  At the time, Bowie himself was just emerging from a strong personal addiction to cocaine.  I've chosen to include the music video version because in it's time it was the most expensive and blatantly artistic video to date.

1.  Moonage Daydream (1971)



If there ever was a question about where the title this blog came from, this selection answers it.  I couldn't embark on a creative adventure without some constant reminder or tribute to Bowie and nothing fit better than my favorite song.  Bowie wrote "Moonage Daydream" while experimenting with his "hat" method.  He wrote out lines, lyrics, and quotes, cut them up, and placed them into a hat.  From that hat, Bowie would draw slips of paper and form his song through random selection.  This particular live performance is from his famous Ziggy Stardust tour where he demolished societal  boundaries concerning performance, sexuality, and masculinity.  The tour set the standard for the glam rock era.

Other notable songs
Space Oddity:  Bowie's break out song and the first song I of his I remember hearing.  It hooked me.
We are Hungry Men:  An early song and interesting take on overpopulation
Life on Mars: Wonderful.
Cat People: Fun song, recently was brilliantly used by Quentin Tarantino in Inglorious Bastards.

Albums to listen to from start to finish:
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust: The most successful concept album of all time.
Station to Station: I think this is his most powerful work.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment